Over 100 years ago, Dr. Maria Montessori used her genius intuition to create a method of child instruction where the child learns using as many of his/her senses as possible. It wasn't until modern times that science has had the tools to evaluate her method and it has found: the method works!
- Dr. Maria Montessori started her first school over 100 years ago.
- Her genius intuition helped her create a method of child instruction...
- ...where the child learns using as many of his/her senses as possible
- It wasn't until modern times that science has had the tools...
- ...to evaluate her method and it has found: the method works!
- This method teaches children HOW to learn - a skill they will use for a lifetime.
100+ Years of Education
Current research indicates that a child can learn naturally and happily as part of his/her normal growth. Directors and staff are sensitive to the fact that each child is a unique individual with different needs and aptitudes and each child progresses at different rates.
All early learning takes place initially through the senses. Given a prepared environment, the child will choose, from the varied and rich stimuli present, the tools necessary for his/her own natural growth. By working with the concrete Montessori materials and solving specific problems the child will reach comprehension.
The Montessori environment is a positive, stimulating, and enriching environment for children of all ages, all cultural backgrounds, all capabilities and/or gifts. The work process involves attaining skills, refining tasks, developing sensitivities, strengthening concentration, solving problems, and achieving new insights. The goal is to become happy and useful members of society; to achieve the ability to cope" and to "adapt" well, and to gain competence to function in the real world.
Parents are a vital part of our program and are encouraged to be actively involved in parent education and the various committees at the school.
Famous Montessori Graduates
- Joshua Bell: American violinist
- Jeff Bezos: founder of Amazon.com
- Dr. T Berry Brazelton: noted peditrician &author
- Sergey Brin & Larry Page: co-founders of Google
- Julia Child: first TV chef & author
- George Clooney: Academy Award-winning actor
- Sean "P.Diddy" Combs: rapper/muscian & producer
- Eric Cornell PhD: Nobel Prize winner
- Anne Frank: Dutch diarist from World War II
- Katherine Graham: owner/editor of The Washington Post
- Friedensreich Hundertwasser: Austrian painter & architect
- Helen Hunt: Academy Award-winning actress
- Gabriel Garcia Marquez: Noble Prize winner for literature
- Jacqueline Bouvier Kennedy Onassis: editor & former first lady
- Jimmy Wales: founder of Wikipedia
- Prince William & Prince Harry: English royal family
- Will Wright: designer of The Sims
PNMA (Pacific Northwest Montessori Association)
International Association for Montessori Educators (IAME)
Montessori Accreditation Council for Teacher Education (MACTE)
Wikipedia entry for Montessori education