Welcome to Spring Valley Montessori School!
Preschool through 8th grade, since 1951
If you missed our Open House, please come to one of these Events (open to the public):
May 31 @ 10:00am - 11:30am - Salmon Release into the Hylebos Creek
June 10th @ 10:00am - 11:30am - J-Day (our end of year celebration)
Spring Valley is a special place. Come visit us and see why!
- Our campus -- It is rare to find a campus with 14 acres of green: grass, trees, creek, and a pond that draws wild birds. Teachers integrate our environment into students' lessons by: going on nature hikes, learning about the parts of the leaf, making art with what they find on hikes, arranging wildflowers, learning about the lifecycle of the salmon, learning about migratory birds, and so on. A cornerstone of the Montessori philosophy is hands on learning, and we have the campus for that!
- Our academics -- We have great teachers; they are Montessori-trained, and bring their own gifts and passions to their classrooms. Using the Montessori method and a low teacher:student ratio, students get the help they need to succeed. Whether you have a child that can fly through academics, a child who struggles in an area and needs one-on-one help to get past stumbling blocks, or anywhere in between, each student can rise to his or her highest potential in each subject through the Montessori method and the help of our amazing teachers.
- Our Montessori Teacher Education Program -- We train Montessori teachers at the Early Childhood (2½ - 6 years) and Elementary (6 - 12 years) levels for Private and Public Montessori schools. Our program is accredited by MACTE (Montessori Accreditation Council for Teacher Education).
- We are located in Federal Way, Washington, just off of Pacific Highway South
- The Hylebos Creek runs through our property
- Students have plenty of room to run and play
- Research shows that children need a green environment to thrive
- Research shows that fresh air and movement help children learn
- Our campus has 14+ acres of green...
- ...including a lovely pond...
- ...that looks great wrapped in snow...
- ...and equally wonderful in June.
- Students go on nature walks...
- ...and study in our environment.
- Our end of year celebration starts with a bagpiper
- All ages join in a parade, from Preschool...
- ...to 8th grade
- The older students learn and perform the May Pole dance
- All grades learn using Montessori Materials
- Older students learn about the salmon life cycle
- They raise salmon from eggs
- They teach the younger students about the salmon
- The entire school participates in releasing the salmon
- Each child gets to release his or her salmon
- The older students assist the younger students
- Older students with their salmon
- A wonderful meal prepared by older students
- Comparison shopping
- Food preparation
- Physical Fitness
- Chess - an after school class
- Snow days with friends
- Our annual Puyallup Fair booth
- Preschoolers having a pajama party for Halloween
- Preschoolers on Halloween